Established in 2009, Mecomed is the medical devices, imaging, and diagnostics trade association, serving as the voice of international medical technology manufacturers and their partners across the Middle East & Africa.
Under the Memorandum of Association, Mecomed operates as a non-profit organization for the purpose of promoting science, education and other social and useful purposes, including:
- Improve patient and clinician access to modern, innovative and reliable medical technology;
- Promote a culture of integrity and ethical business practices across the healthcare sector and to promote the legal and ethical production and/or distribution of medical technology;
- Ensure adherence of medical technology companies to ethical standards and compliance to applicable laws in order to maintain transparent collaboration with healthcare professionals;
- Play an active role in improving the regulatory environment, so far as it relates to medical technology, so that there is a greater focus on patient's well-being;
- Improve the medical technology image and perception, both for the benefits of patients and members; and
- Substantially reduce non-compliant business practices, as well as other unethical market practices, whether by members or other persons (corporate or natural persons) carrying out business in medical technology industry.
Mecomed spearheads initiatives to work closely with healthcare officials in MEA countries and coordinates efforts helping set credible healthcare standards for the region. In addition to this, Mecomed puts the core competencies of its constituent members to formulate, evolve and sustain ethical business practices.